Sunday, September 07, 2014

Crowdfunded publishing

A couple of weeks back I was searching for a distracting, good natured read.  I discovered that Robert Llewellyn, yes, him who played Kryten in Red Dwarf, had written a utopia based on William Morris' News from Nowhere.

I tried reading News from Nowhere at University, when I was doing a module on utopias and dystopias.  I didn't get on with it (the book, not the module).  I just can't get to grips with books that old.  News from Gardenia though is delightful.  A fella from our time is thrown 200 years into the future where most of the world's populations are gardeners and most everyone has free power (a sustainable green future, how awesome!).  Gardenia is the new name for the UK.  It's a world where we got things right!  Given my life recently, this is just what I needed.  It's a good read.  The protagonist is likeable, he's very English, in manner, outlook and vocabulary, which I like a lot

Anyway I get to the end of the book and I discovered that it was crowdfunded!  I know crowdfunded things are everywhere nowadays but the idea of a crowdfunded publishing house is just marvellous to me.

So I looked on the website - www.unbound.co.uk - to find out more and they have some quite frankly marvellous sounding titles on offer.  it works as follows:
The author pitches an idea.
Info is put on the website (i'm guessing the bosses at Unbound get to decide who they put on the website).
If you like an idea, you can make a pledge.
If the target number of supporters is made, the writer starts writing.
There are different levels of monetary support you can pledge, with different rewards.
You are kept up to date with the writer's progress.
The book is written, designed, edited and printed (professionally edited, judging by News from Gardenia).
The pledger gets their book - in e format, hardback or paperback.

How delightful.  So I had a look around the site and came up with these titles that I'd like to support (which I'm including here because I want a record of what I liked so I can go back later and pledge!)
Dead Babies and Seaside Towns
News from the Squares - sequel to News from Gardenia. Women do all the governance!
The Wake
Solstice

I'm quite excited.

No comments: